Thursday 21 June 2012

Background

After being diagnosed it was scary and frustrating as I had never heard of diabetes before and I didn't know what it was. Neither did any of my friends or family, this meant that whenever I suffered a hypo or hyper then instead of just making sure I either injected insulin or ate something they reacted a bit like headless chickens which isn't the most comforting thing in the world, about 4 and a half years on it has improved but not to the point where I feel confident that if anything was to happen and I was to pass out that my friends would realise what was wrong.

Diabetes isn't the worst illness to have in the world as it can be managed but at 12 or whenever you are first diagnosed it doesn't matter if your told that as you still think that it's something major. Which it is. Many people automatically assumed that I developed type one diabetes due to a poor diet, this isn't the case as that is to do with type two diabetes which generally occurs in adults over the age of 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment